Wednesday, August 02, 2006

What About the Homeless!

With prepartions for the next mayor of our dear city, Washington DC, coming up in the future, there is speculation of who is going to win this thing. I don't follow local politics as much as I should but if I was to vote, a suitable candidate would be someone who addresses the ongoing homelessness problem in Washington DC.

With talk of scandels, credentials, records, etc etc blah blah blah, many of these candidates for one reason or another have overlooked a problem that has plagued this city for decades. The prevalence of homelessness is so apparent that in my 16 years of life, I am numb to the sight of a poor person asking me for money. Its even worse to think about what specific group of people make up a percentage of the homeless population. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the war veterans. Take it from me. It is not the most comforting thing to have a Vietnam war veteran come up to you after you come from your job asking for money. I cannot do anything about his situation but appeal to the officials of this city to do something about homelessness.

Despite what many t hink about it, homelessness is wayyyyyy more than a matter that a specific homeless person was "lazy" or "good for nothing". You have many mentally unstable,handicap, and even hard workers just down on their luck that have to roam the violent streets of DC every day so that they can get by. Its sad to see that there are that many homeless people in the capital city of possibly the richest and most most revered country in the world. I hear little about programs offered to help homelss people or medical attention made accessible to those who live their life on the streets. The homeless are people too, and I think its time we start realizing just that .

So I dont really care who you vote for because I cant vote yet and we cannot compare votes just yet. Any District of Columbia citizen should take into account what their candidate plans to do about homelessness because by the end of the day they are still helping the people of the district.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home