Wednesday, May 17, 2006

What I Think About The Da Vinci Code



Today, as I sat at the computer, I read an article in the Washington Post about the upcoming film The Da Vinci Code based on the book with the same name. People of Christian dominations across the world plan to boycott this movie and advise anyone else not to see it because of the messages that it sends. The movie stars Tom Hanks as a person that is looking into a secret organization that will go at anything to hide the "fact" that Jesus Christ had an affair with former prostitute Mary Magdelene and they in fact had offspring whose descendents may in fact still be alive today.

WOW!!! That was all that I could say when I heard that. To be totally honest, I never was interested in what The Da Vinci Code had to offer and the front cover really bored me and I thought the book would bore me as well. As a matter of fact, I think they make movies based on books for people like me who did not read the book in the first place. The speculation of who Jesus might have had sex with is something that would activate this young curious mind of mine. Please be aware that I am a faithful Christian and I believe that Jesus Christ was perfect as much as any other Christian would believe. Dan Brown's creative mind was something that got him some money for this book sold millions worldwide and in fact was in competition with the Harry Potter books for sometime.

Now that it is a movie, the protests have increased. A question that comes to my mind is where were these people when the book came out years earlier? Obviously, there should have been some reaction to what the book said. Despite the thoughts of these people, I think that it is good that there is room for thought in the world today. I'm a fan of movies where things go "boom" or where I laugh for several minutes at a time, but if I can think after that movie is finished, then I'm still satisfied. I think director Ron Howard and star Tom Hanks both made good points when they said the movie was "fictional" and if these people did not want to see it then they should not. America is a free country and if these protestors are free to protest then the movie makers should be free to show their movies.

In a world where there are other things in entertainment to worry about (sex, violence,drug use,etc.), it is sad to see that the church is concerned with the image of our lord and savior than with trying to uphold his principles and the things he taught by way of compaigning the changing of other movies that prove more dentrimental to our society. Does God not favor thought and wisdom for it was wisdom that Solomon had when he found out who was the rightful mother of the baby in the palace. There are so many instances in the Bible where thoughts were endorsed and encouraged by God and his son. This is all a part of gaining wisdom and wisdom is something that many of the people in the religious community are not using at this moment. For if they had wisdom, then obviously they would know that giving attention to this movie by condemning it would bring people like me to the movie theaters.

The church should stop being so hard on things like this. It is obviously fictional and if it would make them happy, then a suggestion would be even putting that disclaimer in the opening credits of the movie. This is not a big issue and it would not even make the courts like that famous Scopes Monkey Trial. There are no fundamentalists around to jump on something like this; if there were, then we'd certainly be in trouble, LOL.

The Da Vinci Code
Rated PG-13
Starring Tom Hanks

Enjoy yourself watching this movie!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home